Thursday, December 23, 2010

4| Awkward Turtles

I suffered from writer’s block earlier today, so out of aggression I posted on Twitter, “Writer’s block grrrr.” My friend, Annie, retweeted and replied, “Write about how much you love me! :)” Well, okay then, I will!

You know what I love about the Greek system? You can be in two completely different sororities and be the best of friends with the women in each chapter- sorry, I had to be Panhellenically correct here! While I am a true bled Kappa Kappa Gamma, Annie is a Pi Beta Phi until the day she dies, BUT we love each other nonetheless! We can thank Mackenzie, my best friend since preschool and her little sister in Pi Phi, for being our mutual friend who brought us together.

Actually, I met Annie on Philanthropy Day the year I went through recruitment. I remember I wore a black t-shirt and a green high-waisted skirt with a belt. She wore a black and white floral dress with her hair curled and pinned back with a flower. Many of you might think I’m creepy, but really, I just have a good memory. Anyways, we made bookmarks for their First Book philanthropy while having the usual recruitment conversation: where I’m from, what my intended major is, and what I’m looking for most in a sorority. Oh yeah, and we talked briefly about basketball, of course. The way sorority recruitment works at our school is actually quite complex. At the end of each recruitment day we rank and they rank. Meaning, the women going through recruitment rank their top houses while each chapter ranks the women they would like to have come back. It’s a mutual selection, as they call it. I remember sitting in the Commons that afternoon with my ranking card in front of me. I visited four houses, and now I had to pick my top two. It was a mind-boggling decision. For those readers who have not experienced sorority recruitment, think about it for a second. Imagine having less than one hour to pick two houses where you could potentially be living for the next four years and a sisterhood you will become bonded to for life. It truly is scary. I went back and forth between the four houses I visited that day, weighing out the possibilities of each. When it came to Pi Beta Phi, I remember thinking, “Their house is new and remodeled and the women are extremely friendly and outgoing. Plus, I really liked that Annie girl.” Well, considering my gut instinct told me to go Kappa all week, it’s funny how close she and I have become.

But really, it was this past summer when our friendship grew. She lived in Moscow for the summer taking (in my opinion) gruesome classes, and I, of course, live here. Oh wow, the things we experienced this summer. First, she was there with me throughout the epic weekend in McCall for the Fourth of July, living out of the trunk of her green Focus. We walked North Beach all afternoon of the Fourth, running into friends from school and meeting some interesting people on the Boise State basketball team. I know you love basketball, Annie, but no, we’re Vandals!

In addition to that
interesting experience in McCall, Annie and I had our fair share of adventures within the city limits of Moscow. Ahh, my favorite memory of all time had to be when she and I decided to treat Mackenzie to a nice afternoon at the Grove cabana with our favorite salads from Mikey’s Gyros and partially melted virgin strawberry margaritas. Cue the wind storm. We ended up eating in Annie’s car, and while I wanted to leave and eat elsewhere because I was concerned about the possibility of people mistaking us for holding a stake-out, she wanted to finish her salad first. Now, enter stage left: a car. But not just any car, the car I was trying to avoid in the first place. Thank you, Annie. I hope those last few bites of your gyro salad were worth it!

That apartment off Almon Street held some great times, as well. Picture Annie serving our friends food like it was Thanksgiving Day only for everyone to realize she was being so hospitable because the food was nearing their expiration date and she needed to get rid of it all. All this while we read Cosmopolitans and Allure magazines from Pi Phi’s mail she was collecting all summer. I am literally LOLing right now. I am laughing out loud reminiscing on this.

But all good times aside, her and I have grown to share a lot in common. Ice cream
at least once a day is a necessity in our diets. We can quote Tasha Mack for hours on end- “emotional walls, girl, emotional walls.” We thrive off awkward situations because they are so much fun to look back on and laugh at. And, we have experienced a similar situation where we could probably start our own relationship advice blog.

So, as Annie said, I am writing about how much I
love her. She already knows that she will be living in Moscow again this upcoming summer, and while I am hoping to move for those few months to experience life outside this college town, I hope she holds it down for me…at the Grove, just like last year. Get those mentions in, girl. Also, I know you love basketball and dancing to a good cut, but, please, don’t ever be like Royce on Basketball Wives.

No comments:

Post a Comment